TWC Mission Server Announcements & Updates

Open for all registered users to use.

TWC Mission Server Announcements & Updates

Postby TWC_Flug » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:14 pm

WHAT IS THE TWC MISSION SERVER?

The TWC Mission Server, it is a server that is generally on the Cliffs of Dover server list 24/7 in campaigns that combine the best of live, multiplayer pilots with high-quality AI fighters and bombers.

Features:

1. The TWC Mission Server features a career and promotion system, where pilots who fight hard and live long gain gain progressively higher rank.

2. You earn access to various aircraft through promotions and victories. If you die, you start your career over, losing that hard-won aircraft access. That means living and dying has real in-game consequences.

3. Your fighter and bomber pilot careers are separate, encouraging you to give both a try (Bomber pilot careers tend to be brief and meteoric . . . ).

4. Each mission and each side has specified objectives--if you achieve them all, you can turn the map. Check using chat command "<obj" or via TAB-4 menu system.

5. Extensive stats are compiled for each pilot (or more precisely, each of your pilot careers--which are often cut short by your untimely death). Click on the "Stats" link on the http://TWCClan.com web site.

6. Additionally, a record of recent campaigns is kept, showing how the campaign developed over time which side came out on top in various areas. Look at the upper right corner of the server stats page, and click the TEAM Stats Archive link for more detail.

7. In game you can check your current stats, career, and mission objectives in-game using Chat Commands <session, <career<, <objectives and others (<help for a full list; Chat Commands can usually be abbreviated to three letters, so <ses, <car, <obj).

8. Rearm and reload EITHER bombers or fighters, whether damaged OR undamaged, at ANY airport using Chat Command <rr. <rrhelp for details. You do lose your custom skin & (for fighters) custom ammo loadouts & convergences. Often the utility of being able to land & <rr at ANY nearby airport outweighs this inconvenience, but the choice is up to you. Bombers can specify their loadouts & fuse delays (<rrhelp for details).

9. Careers are enhanced by flying continuous missions (ie, landing & taking off again from the same airport, vs landing at Bembridge & taking off at Shoreham) and preserving your aircraft (ie, bringing it in to land safely at a friendly airport. Try to fly complete missions, from take off to safe landing.

10. If you're in trouble, landing or parachuting on friendly land is safest, then friendly water, then enemy land, and least safe is enemy water. These are all worse for your career and for your team than landing safely at a friendly airport (or even landing at an airport with a damaged plane), but far, far better than crashing and dying. If you're crash landing, the slower the better when you crash into the ground or an object. You can survive many incidents that look like a fiery explosion, if your ground speed is slow enough. Also, in this server we carry reserve parachutes, so you can survive many parachute failures and parachuting out is actually a fairly safe option (over friendly land). Note that there is no penalty if you are still flying when the server ends, and if you quit the server or unexpectedly lose connection, it is generally the same result for you as bailing out of the aircraft at that same moment.

11. Get lists of friendly/enemy contacts and intercepts (compiled from radar & observer reports) via TAB-4

12. General Situation Map (GSM) available for each side, based on the capabilities of the contemporaneous Chain Home system & contact plotting tables. It is very helpful for strategic planning for a mission, deciding which bomber raids to intercept giving your team's limited resources, etc. Linked from the Server Stats Page or directly here: http://brenthugh.com/twc/radar/. The GSM doesn't help you win dogfights or shoot down bomber formations--but it does help you direct your energy so that you know which enemies to engage and which to avoid--so that you can have your best shot.

13. All industrial areas (yes, ALL) are live for bombing and will gain you & your team many points for area bombing them. Individual targets within the industrial areas (fuel dumps, large factories, etc) will count even higher but just area bombing smaller factories and outbuildings within industrial areas will score.

14. ALL roads, railroads, and airports are live bombing targets (gaining points for yourself & your team), and you (or AI bomber formations) can damage or even knock out airports. Bombs leave a large & dangerous crater, so for example dropping four bombs right down the middle of the runway can significantly disturb airport operations even if the airport is not yet completely disabled.

15. Many bombing targets scattered across the countryside. Look for 'black dots' on the ground throughout enemy territory--each is a valuable target, each is defended. Taking out any of these ground targets (generally remote factories and fuel depots) will help both your career and your team in gaining ground in the campaign.

16. But . . . bomb civilian areas & you'll get negative points for yourself--and your team! And a reprimand to go with it . . .

17. Co-op Start Period - automatic short 'neutral start' period at the start of each mission, which can be extended if you want to gather more people together for a mass start on any given mission. Pilots of all major squads have automatic access to this (use chat command "<coop" - let me know you're part of a squad and don't have access, because we can add more squads).

18. Long-term Campaign: Gaining victories and achieving Mission Objectives will move the front over a series of campaigns, gaining or losing land area and airports for your side. Over a period of time--days to weeks in real time--you will be able to drive the opponent completely across the Channel, or out of France, if you and your team working together can keep up the sustained momentum over the long run.

TWC MISSION SERVER vs TWC TACTICAL SERVER: You will see many of the same features and capabilities listed above on the TWC Tactical Server. The difference is that the TWC Mission Server is more medium difficulty and the type of server where you can probably survive 20 or 30 sorties if you are a skilled and prudent pilot.

In Tactical Server your opponents are far more aggressive, numerous, and skilled. You won't want to enter the Tactical Server unless you have a squad to fly with--or a plan to avoid ALL of the many bad guys . . .

More information about both servers on the front page of the TWC web site: http://twcclan.com.

The thread below has various announcements and updates for the server over time--check the end of the thread for the most recent.
TWC_Flug

Re: TWC Mission Server Announcements, Updates

Postby TWC_Flug » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:39 pm

16 Jan 2016 - I have a whole package of updates & bugfixes for the TWC Mission, Practice & Training servers that I'm planning to apply over the next week or so. Don't be surprised if you see some changes in server behavior etc. Main updates:

- Rank & promotion system updated extensively. The basic idea of the rank system is good, but people were achieve ranks like Marshal of the RAF or General der Luftwaffe after only 10 flights or so on the Mission Server. After the update, there will be more ranks along the way (so you will still get promotions pretty often) but it will take 50-100 flights to achieve high ranks of that sort.

Be aware that, when I implement this new system, ranks will automatically be re-calculated the first time you fly again. So it will look like you are receiving a demotion, but you're really not. That is just the rank your number of flights, victories, damage, hours of flight time, etc have earned under the new system.

Keep in mind that all servers use the same basic rank system, but with tweaks. In the Mission Server, your rank expires with your death. So you'll achieve high ranks with 50-100 continuous flights (ie, without a death) but when you die, your rank is gone. (You do get a bit of a boost towards that same rank in your next career, however). In the Practice & Training Servers you accumulate ranks more slowly--it make take 200-300 flights to achieve the same rank you do in the Mission Server at 50 flights. But in the Practice & Training Servers, your career doesn't restart with each death. Rather, your "deaths" are simply counted as a stat.

- Major updates to Ground Supply Vehicles - they should NEVER crash into you & kill you any more. If you are standing still, they should never hit you (please report any exceptions to this--include airport, airplane you were piloting, server & any other details so we can fix it).

Note that the Ground Vehicles are still there and if you taxi or fly into them, that is still your problem. They don't move fast enough to get out of your way if you taxi or fly into them. So you still have to LOOK before you taxi or take off. But they won't come & hunt you down anymore, if you are just standing still at an airport.

Note that Enemy Ground Support Vehicles are valid targets that will gain you Ground Kill Points. Fuel trucks, in particular, explode spectacularly.

Additionally, Mission Builders have more control over behavior of Ground Vehicles.

- More leniency on Ground Crashes - CloD gives you a "death" on many minor ground collisions, such as hitting a hanger or building wall at 5-10MPH. However, the TWC Missions are now far more lenient and county many of these as injuries rather than deaths now.

To maximize your chances of survival, make sure you are <i>on the ground</i> and <i>going as slowly as possible</i> prior to any impact or collision. For example, if you slide along the ground and crash into a hangar or house at 10-20MPH, you will very likely survive. If you crash into the building 20 feet up at 90MPH, you will almost certainly die.

- Many other minor updates - Bug fixes, improved documentation the stats web page, etc
TWC_Flug

Postby TWC_Flug » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:45 am

Another update to stats rolling out soon is this:

- Now picks up many victories previously missed (and missed by NetStats, ATAG, etc). Situations where an aircraft is forced down, lands in water, etc, but doesn't explode or the like, are often missed in stats. Now TWC Stats should pick up many (though perhaps still not all) of those cases.

Again this is an update that will be rolled out over the next week or so.
TWC_Flug

Postby TWC_Flug » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:46 am

TWC_Flug wrote:16 March 2016 - I'm taking the TWC Mission Server down to replace the CPU. Hopefully it won't take too long--we'll see.

CPU upgrade is complete and made a big difference in the server--you should see the Mission Server working smoother, able to handle more users, etc.
TWC_Flug

Postby TWC_Sp00k » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:31 am

Truly excellent work Flug. Well done. Hopefully, I wont find you awake again and some ungodly hour coding :)

In other news, your valient Air Marshall of Britain *yours truly*, while trying to chase another 10 kills and overtake Loose Cannon, has flown into the backside of a 109 and died. A truly inglorious death for one so heroic and full of derring do.

Tyro TWC_Sp00k will begin again......sigh.
TWC_Sp00k

Postby TWC_Flug » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:12 pm

The computer the Mission Server is on has been having some fairly serious issues, so I have it down trying to do some repair/restore work. FYI.
TWC_Flug

Postby TWC_Flug » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:13 pm

TWC_Sp00k wrote:A truly inglorious death for one so heroic and full of derring do.

I was up to 10 or 12 flights when I was PKed by a bomber . . . back to Tyro for me, too.
TWC_Flug

Postby HurstLlama » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Well done, Flug, those changes sound good. I confess I do not understand how the promotions work. I went from Flight Lieutenant to Group Captain in the space of less than two hours this lunch time, God knows why, and a while back a chum of mine who had not played for three days logged on and found himself instantly promoted three ranks. Anyway, I am not grumbling the stats are a bit of fun and a nice way way to keep score, especially between squadrons (looking at you TWC).

As for being sent back to Tyro, well it is a pisser but it seems to happen to us all, apart from BlackJack - but his time will come, some rear gunner will nail him with a head shot sooner or later.

Anyway, thanks, Flug, for a great server and I look forward to when it is up again.
HurstLlama

Postby TWC_Flug » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:36 pm

HurstLlama wrote:Well done, Flug, those changes sound good. I confess I do not understand how the promotions work.

The new/improved (?) promotions system is also rolled out on the Mission Server now, so you'll probably see those ranks scaled back now.

But the new system works on the same basic model as the old, just that you won't progress from rank to rank quite as quickly and there are more ranks on the bottom end. So you won't quite be up to "General of the RAF" after just 10 flights or so any more.

But both the old & new systems worked on the same general principles: Number of flights, flight time, damage done, and Kill Points. There is a set goal for each rank in each of those 4 areas, and you have to meet the qualification in 3 of the 4 areas before you are promoted. There is a slight acceleration if you are very productive--ie, many kill points per flight on average.
TWC_Flug

Postby TWC_Flug » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:23 am

And, another pretty major upgrade to the Mission Server & Stats.

This one has to do with several things that all tie together: What happens if you land, crash land, or parachute onto land, water, friendly territory, or enemy territory?

Previously, the Mission Server/Stats was just letting all these things slide. You could land mid-Atlantic and you wouldn't die.

Also, we were ignoring disconnects and quitting the server (or exiting your aircraft) mid-flight. These would never end your career.

That has now ended!

Here is how it works now:
  • Land safely, or parachute, into friendly territory and you are pretty much 100% safe
  • Land safely or parachute in enemy territory and you have a chance of capture. You have a good chance of escape, too (actually it is pretty lenient) but you won't want to try this too often.
  • Land or parachute in water, and you have a chance of drowning (again, it is pretty lenient--but land in water too often and you will eventually die of it). If you land in friendly waters your chance of rescue is higher than enemy waters.
  • Disconnecting, exiting the server, or exiting your plane via the flag/map screen is exactly the same as parachuting from your plane in that location
  • If you parachute, you find out the outcome of your jump immediately--thus there is no advantage to exiting the server or your parachute to try to avoid the outcome of jumping
  • There are essentially NO parachute failures. CloD gives you a parachute failure rate of something like 20-50%. I did a bit of research & found the USAF training facility during WWII had something like one parachute failure per week--over hundreds of weekly jumps. And that was main chute failure--not main AND reserve. So the server works on the assumption that both main & reserve parachutes fail somewhere less than 1% of the time.

Altogether, this is actually a pretty slick way to deal with all of this, because there is no longer any advantage whatsoever to exiting the server or exiting your plane to try to avoid getting killed or to try to avoid letting someone else get credit for killing you. The consequences (for both your career and anyone else who has damage on you) are exactly the same as if you parachuted (or crash landed) in that same location at that same moment.

And on the flip side, if you *need* to exit the game quickly--company at the door or spouse calling, whatever--you can just ESC or even Alt-F4 and it is exactly the same as parachuting out at that moment. (Make sure to actually exit your aircraft, though--if you just ESC to the flag/map screen the plane is still flying in the background. Click the flag or actually exit the server to ensure that you have actually exited your aircraft.)

So you can exit the game and not necessarily lose your current career. In fact if you exit over friendly ground, you are actually very, very safe--exactly the same as if you parachuted or crash landed on friendly ground. You'll most probably lose a plane but not your career.
TWC_Flug

Next

Return to Open Forum