TWC Mission Server Announcements, Updates

Open for all registered users to use.

Re: TWC Mission Server Announcements, Updates

Postby TWC_DG » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Yes Flug, I admit I like to fly with lots of eye candy,
And I may have to tone things down a bit...

It is the cities, because I get slowdowns even before I blow things up.

I just wish I could have me cake & eat it too.

If only there were a way to set graphics based on frame rate,
let's say a below 30 fps minimum caused an auto reduction in graphics settings.

It would solve everything,

But I guess I am a dreamer...
TWC_DG

Postby TWC_Hoss » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:03 pm

Dave
I am not an expert on this but I have put a maximum of 30 fps on Cliffs using my graphics card control panel
Because my system is so crap and that way it is not struggling as much. I have also convinced myself that if it is running at 30 fps
and the fps drops over a town then it is less notceable than if it had been running at 60 fps before. I'm probably talking rubbish but see if it helps.
Cheers
Hoss
TWC_Hoss

Postby TWC_Hoss » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Just a note I am using the latest nvidia drivers and the the control panel I use to set 30 fps came with the drivers

Hoss
TWC_Hoss

Postby TWC_DG » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Hoss!
You were right!
(I never had a video card before so I really do not know how to use it.)

It has a minimum 30fps setting, I am trying it out now!

It also has a gazillion other settings that I have no idea what they do:

two of the many things turned off are:
wait for vertical refresh unless application specified???
openGL triple buffering???
plus lots of other crap listed as "optimized" that I have no idea what they do...
TWC_DG

Postby TWC_Flug » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:16 pm

FYI the Mission Server went down this early morning for some unknown reason. While it was down I took the opportunity to roll out a new version of the Stats package that has various incremental improvements of the type we've been discussing above.

Please let me know if you notice any problems.

Some features of the new update:

- Ground crash code update. The end result is 'meaner' than before in the sense that you are more likely to die. But it is still quite a bit nicer than the CloD code, which is (IMHO) far too likely to say 'you died' for no particular reason. FYI I actually went & looked up a bunch of data on airplane crashes and the new code bases it's decision on the vertical speed at the moment of the crash, together with the data about which vertical speed at landing is a 'good landing' vs 'hard landing but very survivable' vs 'likely fatality' vs 'unsurvivable etc.

- Ground vehicles even less likely to run into you than before. Pls let me know if you are still being killed by any ground vehicles, though.

- 'Aircraft written off' greatly improved and now a major part of the stats & rank advancement. Basically, to avoid having your aircraft written off, you must land it at a friendly airfield. Remaining in the air until time runs out is also OK. But crashing, landing in enemy territory, landing anywhere but an airfield, etc all are going to result in 'aircraft written off'.

What's more, the more aircraft you write off the harder it will become to advance your rank. It's not like you have to be perfect--we all understand that this is war and aircraft are damaged and destroyed. But if you are more or less carelessly wasting planes because you can't be troubled to return them to base, making bad landings, etc, then you'll definitely see an effect on your rank.

And last but not least!

- You now have a separate career as a bomber pilot. If you fly missions in the heavy bombers (Blenheim, 111, 88 BR.50, etc) those stats will be saved under a separate pilot name--you'll see (bomber) added to your name on the stats page.

What that means is that you can undertake heavy bomber missions--which have a far higher risk of death than fighter missions--without fear of endangering your other career as a fighter pilot.

We'll see how high bomber pilots can climb in the rankings. If, as I suspect will be true, it is impossible to advance very far in rank in a bomber pilot career, I have some ideas that we can implement that could help bring the bomber pilots more into parity with the fighter pilots.
TWC_Flug

Postby TWC_Flug » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Also, please let me know by leaving a message here, if you notice any bugs or problems. The 'bomber pilot separate career' thing is most likely to be troublesome, I believe.
TWC_Flug

Postby TWC_Bulldog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:14 pm

What an EXCELLENT job (as usual) Flug you and your crew really put a huge amount of effort into this and it is really appreciated thanks a mil.

PS my time here is 11:15 PM..there are two different times here on the post ?? :?:
TWC_Bulldog

Postby TWC_DG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Woohoo! Bomber stats!

Can't wait to try it,
I haven't attacked LeHavre in a Blennie since the stats went into effect.
Previously, I think I did it about 50 times, 98% suicide missions...

(But lots of fun! I keep trying to take out that dang destroyer, & the anti air gets me.)
(try to take out the anti air, and the destroyer gets me!)
(p.s., the 2%left I had more holes in me than Charlie Browns Halloween costume...)
TWC_DG

Postby TWC_Flug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:26 pm

FYI the Training Server is down for . . . unknown reasons.

That is, everything looks like it is working and like it should work, but it just doesn't. So I don't know why and since I don't know what is wrong I can't say how long it might be to fix it.
TWC_Flug

Postby TWC_Flug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:40 pm

TWC_Flug wrote:FYI the Training Server is down for . . . unknown reasons.

OK, well that was the quickest fix ever--from "no clue what is wrong" to "completely fixed" in about 20 seconds flat. It turns out the confs.ini was corrupted, leading to bizarre behavior. I just restored the old conf.ini (conveniently saved the last time this same problem happened) and now it seems all is well with the Training Server.
TWC_Flug

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum