A dangerous place

Open for all registered users to use.

Re: A dangerous place

Postby TWC_Target » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:52 am

Creep, your posts were very pertinent, learning of others machines and what is or isn't working for them is exactly what I'm looking for.

Tekk I've perused the link you posted showing your build and now I'm beginning to wonder if I might get away with just a couple of upgrades, the first of which is the video card. I'm not sure how a Gforce1070 would act on my MB with the processor I have, I guess my question would be, do video cards have specific specs they need to optimize their power? Besides the power from the electrical source that is. I think I have a 750 watt power source. I also think my processor is slowing so I could replace that with an I7 something. The only thing about this machine is I don't have a slot for my sound blaster card, but I think they sell self contained boxes for sound cards now. I have a mid size cabinet so not much room in it. I know better now but that's hind sight, isn't it? :?
"Mercedis Intentio"
TWC_Target

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Chaps, may I inject a note of disagreement? I last replaced my machine in, I think, 2012 or maybe early 2013. I telephoned a supplier (Chillblast) that was recommended by a chum and, having chatted to the fellow at the other end to make sure he understood about gaming and the games, I was then playing I placed my order in the following terms, "Give me a box that will run at least two monitors and which will run Skyrim silky smooth with everything set to max".

Much, much easier you see than worrying about gtx10 wossnames, or whether I needed a 750 milojoule thingy and so on and so forth. Computer arrives I fire up Skyrim, turn all the settings to max, does it work really well? Yes, job done. Four or maybe five years later it is still giving spiffing service (in both CloD and Elite Dangerous - if I am not on the highest settings in both then my eyes would be too poor to notice anything better). So maybe I paid over the odds originally but I cannot complain about longevity.
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby Tekk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:47 pm

What are the specs of your computer Target?

Motherboard:
Cpu:
Gpu:
Ram:
Power Supply:
Hard Drive:
Aftermarket or stock cooler:

Your power supply will support a new video card. The big determining factor for compatibility with upgrades will be your motherboard.
Tekk

Postby TWC_Sparky_VR » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Hey Target you said your MB was an 1145 socket or is it 1155 I have the i5 2500K you can turn it up and with your power source you should have more than enough to run a GTX1070 thats what Im running with 2 screens.

~S~ Sparky
TWC_Sparky_VR

Postby TWC_Birdtail » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:02 pm

A little off topic....but a dangerous place none the less....I was checking temps with a program call Speecy and when playing COD my cpu temp was 95-98C I'm lucky I didn't cook any thing. Got some thermal paste cleaned the heatsink and other dusty things now it runs 62c . We all love new stuff....but don't forget the maintenance....it could have cost me a new cpu and who knows what else.
(Lucky) Bird
There's something good waitin' down this road
I'm pickin' up whatever's mine.
"Tom Petty...Runnin' Down A Dream...Full Moon Fever"
TWC_Birdtail

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:16 am

Good point, Mr. BirdTail. My machine's fans seem to be working hard again when playing CloD time to get the chap in and give the insides of the machine a good cleanout. I usually have him, with his little vacuum cleaner and brushes, in every three months but I have been a bit lax this summer.

Thanks for the pointer to the Speecy programme. I downloaded the free version and it is quite interesting to watch the temperatures change when I start to put the machine under a bit of stress. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby TWC_Target » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:17 am

Sorry for my absence, been looking at some land to build on. Spark I think its a 1145, I'll have to check.
"Mercedis Intentio"
TWC_Target

Previous

Return to Open Forum