The Campaign for Blitz

Open for all registered users to use.

Re: The Campaign for Blitz

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:59 am

TWC_Iron_Horse wrote:Think I have sorted out the problem, took the covers off the computer and saw that there was some dust in the cpu fan so with a deep breath disconnected said object took out the wiring and blew the dust out before re-assembling said item (had a bit of a job getting the pins in to lock the fan on the cpu) fired up old faithful, ran some games and now working fine so will see you all in the air shortly.

PS. Sorry for hi-jacking thread! :oops:

Regards
Iron.

Iron the build up of dust and crud will kill your machine because it causes over-heating. If your CPU fan was full of dust then probably so too is the fan(s) on your GPU and the case generally. I have a man come in and clear mine out every 3 months because I have lost computers to that problem before and my eyesight is now too poor for me to deal with fiddly screws and suchlike. However, if you are happy taking the cover off there is a very good device on sale that attaches to your vacuum cleaner that is brilliant at safely sucking up stuff in delicate areas. It is called a Dust Daddy and available via Amazon for about a tenner.

Whilst writing does anyone know how one can volunteer to perform Stetson (aka TopHat) in the new campaign? I have posted this question elsewhere but didn't get an answer from Fatal.
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby mlucam » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:22 pm

What' s the radar password ?
mlucam

Postby TWC_Iron_Horse » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:08 am

Iron the build up of dust and crud will kill your machine because it causes over-heating. If your CPU fan was full of dust then probably so too is the fan(s) on your GPU and the case generally. I have a man come in and clear mine out every 3 months because I have lost computers to that problem before and my eyesight is now too poor for me to deal with fiddly screws and suchlike. However, if you are happy taking the cover off there is a very good device on sale that attaches to your vacuum cleaner that is brilliant at safely sucking up stuff in delicate areas. It is called a Dust Daddy and available via Amazon for about a tenner.

Hi Blind, many thanks for the HU on Dust Daddy, will have to take a look at that one. When in the computer I did check the fans to my graphic card and they were OK.

Regards
Iron.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.
TWC_Iron_Horse

Postby TWC_Sp00k » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:32 am

mlucam wrote:What' s the radar password ?

PM TWC_Fatal Error mate, he organises the radar operators.
TWC_Sp00k

Postby TWC_Iron_Horse » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:58 am

Up last night with Fast and we were on a bombing mission to Dunkirk, on arrival I followed Fast in a dive and dropped my bombs, due to the amount of flak I started to make a hard left turn low down and then disaster struck, my computer froze for over 3 seconds and then found that my aircraft was burning fiercely on the ground, came up as self kill!!

Really annoyed at this in losing a life through no fault of my own. I don't know whether this was the server or my computer so going to have to keep checking with whom I am flying with to see if they also get a freeze when I do.

Had been playing other games before coming on the server without any freezes at all so a bit perplexed over this not to mention annoyed as it is going to hit our statistics!!

Regards
Iron.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.
TWC_Iron_Horse

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Stetson Protocol

Chaps,

If you have read the stuff from Fatal and Flug you will have seen that it was always anticipated that the RAF team would have at their back an approximation of the Dowding System that made all the difference in the Battle of Britain. By the Dowding System I mean the interlocking systems of Radar, the Observer Corps, the “Squawk Application” and the whole chain of national and sector control rooms that coordinated the whole thing.

That approximation exists. We can argue how accurate it is but it is and will remain what we have to work with. What I think we need to do is get it up and working. To that end I have been experimenting and talking with Fatal and I think we have a solution that will provide 90% of what the RAF side need. This paper sets out a protocol that if followed will achieve that.

First off, you chaps need to understand a few things about what the person sitting in Stetson can and cannot see. The “Radar” system gives details of height, speed, direction and grid square of every flight on the plot. It does not give unit call signs, nor does it group human flown flights. So, for example, if five Spitfires from, say, 85 Squadron get up together what the person in Stetson will see on his plot is 5 times “~2F” (accompanied by speed, altitude etc.). Stetson will have, by default, no idea who is the flight leader, the unit identification, or whether those aircraft are even flown by humans as opposed to AI.

So if Stetson is going to be of use to you the first thing you are going to have to do is get you flight lead (that is you if you are flying solo) to set up a whisper channel on TeamSpeak with whoever is sitting in the chair. There is plenty of time to do this - your engines need to warm up plus the rest of your flight spawning and all that stuff.

Stetson will only track flight leads. It is the flight leaders job to keep his/her flight together. For Stetson anyone who is not a registered flight lead will just show as ignorable the same as AI. There is a side note to this, flights should work out a protocol for a 2IC in the event of their leader getting killed.

Once you have got your comms established with Stetson you are good to go. Chances are once you are up in the air Stetson will want to check out that what is appearing on his plot accords with what you think is the situation (keep in mind that Stetson’s visible plot is always going to be a couple of minutes behind where you actually are).

One further point about this phase of establishing communications and who is who: aeroplanes do not appear on the plot until they are 250ft up - whilst you are on the ground Stetson cannot see you. So it will make life easier for everyone if the flight lead takes of first.

If you want someone guiding you, looking over your shoulder steering you into fights, or away from them if you are a bomber, then when Stetson is crewed it can do that but if and only if you come up and register your flight at the outset.

There are, I am sure, going to be a lot of wrinkles to iron out, but we can at least make a start.

I will be in the Stetson role as much as I can from tomorrow evening onwards. Hopefully some others will come forward and we can keep the seat occupied as close to 24/7 as possible.

P.S. Could Mr. Spook or someone copy this post to the Red discussion room on the ATG forum. I am not allowed in there.
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby TWC_Sp00k » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:44 pm

I'll put it in there mate, thanks.
TWC_Sp00k

Postby PottsKartoffelkopf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:56 pm

Hello all. Just jumped in this evening, for the first time in a few days, looking to take up a Spitfire 1A 100 Oct, tried a number of fields with no joy. I received the message about my being restricted from the 1A 100 Oct. That's all well and good, but was just wondering what might have been the reasons for this. I am a noob, so I figure it could be that I have wrecked one too many of his majesty's finest to the Supermarine factory possibly being bombed before I got onto the map. Just wondering if there is a way to see if my flying record is the cause or if something other. The guys on Teamspeak at the time weren't sure. Thanks for any words of wisdom you might share. I'll go jump in a Beau.
PottsKartoffelkopf

Postby TWC_Sp00k » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:31 am

Indirectly its related to how many Spits you lost but directly its related to the Spits everyone has lost. The message doesn’t just affect you but the entire side. Red and Blue share similar restrictions to make sure the top tier aircraft are not all lost as a result of new player inexperience. That experience must be gained in a more stable, easier to fly aircraft first, and once a certain number of kills has been reached, the next tier aircraft is unlocked and you can fly that.

I haven’t tried it yet but imagine its similar to the Mission server where everytime you die, the clock on kills and experience starts again ?

To check your stats, go to TWCClan.com. Click on the drop down box (Square with lines in it) top right of page, select Statistics and click on the Campaign server (May be called Tactical) link. That will take you to your career/mission stats.
TWC_Sp00k

Recommendation For DFC

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24 am

Chaps,

On a quiet afternoon on the campaign let us raise a glass to Bonditaria, a pilot who has single-handedly taken out no less than four German radar stations in his trusty Hurricane FB. A notable achievement.

Oooops: He/she has just taken out a fifth radar site.
TWC_BlindAsABat

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum