A Question for our American Cousins

Open for all registered users to use.

A Question for our American Cousins

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:01 am

Chaps,

In our small Sussex town we have had an outbreak of Americans. I have no idea why but they seem like nice people. Anyway whilst out walking in the fields behind the High Street we came across an American couple and had a brief chat as one does on such occasions during which the gentleman referred to Mutley as a "hound dog". Well, if looks could kill.

Mutley drew himself up to his full height and gave a look that clear as day said, "My name is Athos Pereira d'Artagnan Mouzinho de Albuquerque e Cunha (Mutley to my friends). I am a Spaniel! Prepare to be snubbed (unless you have some sausages about your person)". I pulled Mutley away before the incident degenerated and I hope we parted from our visitors on good terms.

The question remains though, what do Americans consider a "hound dog"?
TWC_BlindAsABat

Re: A Question for our American Cousins

Postby TWC_Target » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:57 pm

Depends on your upbringing (read the region you grew up in), to some all breeds of dogs can be considered hound dogs, albeit not hounds, for hounds are a specific breed as is the American Blood Hound. Mutley was a cartoon dog in the 60's, name derived from another catch all for dogs of unknown pedigree, mut. And although a "mut", by pure definition, is a mixed breed (as in a dog pound find) someone might use the term if he or she don't know the breed they're looking at. In this manner the ignorance of the individual as it relates to being a true dog person is exposed. Of course with all the breeds that have populated the shows of late I might call half of them "muts" not being familiar with the genus of what I'm looking at.
Tonight there will be a "mut" show on the tely. I don't know if it's a sanctioned show (American Kennel Association) but it's participants will be rescued dogs (IE pound finds).
Some may not know a Springer Spaniel from a Cocker Spaniel, so hound dog covers both. It is a hunting dog after all.
TWC_Target

Postby TWC_Target » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:05 pm

I forgot another reason for calling any dog a hound. The foreboding and sinister aspect of the word, as in "release the hounds". Doesn't matter the breed of dog, once the hounds are released the threat of being torn asunder by vicious beasts of unknown origin may be enough to send one to flight. Even if the aforementioned hounds are discovered at a later date to be toy poodles.

Mr. Burns of the Simpsons is fond of releasing the hounds even though it's quite obvious the hounds are Doberman Pincers. Not so much to the point to say "release the Doberman Pincers". Hounds just has that ring of nastiness to it.
TWC_Target

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:01 am

Mr. Target,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. If I have you right, to some Americans any dog can be referred to as a "Hound Dog". Fair enough, sounds a bit cock-eyed to me (dogs are dogs and hounds are hounds) but at least I can assure Mutley that no offence was meant (he is a sensitive soul at heart).

I do of course remember the cartoon Mutley from all those years ago. Since our Mutley has come to live with us some in the village pub have started to call me Dick Dastardly (the young barmaid stopped doing so since I made the point of referring to her as Penelope Pitstop).
TWC_BlindAsABat

Return to Open Forum