We have all done it

Open for all registered users to use.

We have all done it

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:28 am

A Blenheim from the Fighter Interception Unit has a braking issue at Tangmere 1940

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0BNHEDWsAADnGF.jpg
TWC_BlindAsABat

Re: We have all done it

Postby TWC_Mackers » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Brilliant photo!

I wonder if the pilot was still in it, the ailerons look like they are still turning right.

The guy up the fuselage probably shouting at the guy on the engine - "Don't bloody mooove!"
TWC_Mackers

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:09 am

Interestingly I have recently read that Tangmere did not have hard runways in 1940, certainly not in the Battle of Britain period. As the piccie clearly shows the up ended aeroplane on a hardrunway I am unsure as to the accuracy of the original caption. I have written to the magnificent Tangmere Museum to see of they can shed any light.
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby TWC_Iron_Horse » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi Blind, for your info Trev Clark is the curator now at Tangmere Museum, he sometimes comes in to a forum I'm on on and have only just heard that he has taken over the top job there!!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.
TWC_Iron_Horse

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:21 am

Thanks for that, Iron?

Any chance we are going to see you back in the skies soon?
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby TWC_Iron_Horse » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:56 am

Any chance we are going to see you back in the skies soon?

Hopefully tonight Blind, though unable to connect 2nd monitor to the RTX 2070 so will have to rely on the on-board compass!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.
TWC_Iron_Horse

Postby Padre » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:32 am

TWC_Iron_Horse wrote:Hopefully tonight Blind, though unable to connect 2nd monitor to the RTX 2070 so will have to rely on the on-board compass!
Regards
Nigel.

There is another compass? Can you please explain, or point me in the direction that I can read up on this? It's frustrating that after pulling some high-G maneuvers, my directional gyro is always acting wacky, and re-calibrating it in flight is always so much fun :D .
The Padre
"There are no atheists in Foxholes!!!"
Padre

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:41 am

Padre,

The compass to which Iron refers is the one which on the Spit and Hurricane is in front of the control column; you know the one which is almost impossible to read even with a head-tracker with six degrees of freedom. It is one of, if not the, reason why so many pilots use a second monitor - so they can have Virtual Cockpit running and so are not reliant on that dang useless directional gyro.

Quite why Iron can't run a second monitor on his new card I do not know as according to the specs the RTX 2070 will support four monitors.
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby TWC_Target » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 am

I would hazard to say it's the adapter plug that needs to be addressed, which is a misleading statement. I, in fact, needed a converter for my 1050TI, the adapter I had been using with my previous card didn't work with this one. The pins were different in number (not configuration), and the new need to go from the card to the old VGA monitor required more than an adapter. As such, when I found the converter it looked externally much like the adapter with a box wired to it.
TWC_Target

Postby TWC_Fast » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Iron. A temporary solution (which became permanent in my case) is to use a tablet or an old laptop as a second monitor, an extend the view on it using a free software like Spacedesk. No cables needed. In the virtual cockpit menu select the second monitor. ;)
TWC_Fast

Next

Return to Open Forum