Head Tracking

Open for all registered users to use.

Head Tracking

Postby Padre » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Well with the new campaign about to go live, I felt compelled to take another hard look at the head tracking solutions available. I've finally settled on TrackHat as the most affordable solution, and order mine today. Just wondering if any of you use this type of head tracking device and if there are any tips/advice you can lend to ease the installation and setup. Below is a link to the "rig" I've ordered:

https://trackhat.org/product/trackhat-c ... cking-kit/

I know it is not the cheapest solution, but I like the style and hope that it will work well. In Canada, it is really hard to find an affordable solution: the TrackIR starts at $259 and goes up as high as $339. The US counter part starts at $160, but by the time you factor in the exchange rate and the duty fees its well over $200 again. The TrackHat from the UK comes in just under $100, that includes the exchange, shipping, and duties. My only concerns are: 1) that it will function well and will be user friendly 2) that it take 2- 6 weeks to arrive (or as my British brothers put it "bloody el - 2 to 6 weeks!")

So any advice that will ease the transition, will be greatly appreciated.
The Padre
"There are no atheists in Foxholes!!!"
Padre

Re: Head Tracking

Postby TWC_Target » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:34 pm

I have Trick IR and Ed Tracker, by comparison, and pictures can be hard to use as a comparing medium, that rig looks enormous. It's my opinion that size matters in this case, smaller being better. If you're going to order from the UK maybe look here;
https://edtrackerpro.mybigcommerce.com/
The wireless version is a bit more pricey but the wired version is about the same as what you're looking at.
TWC_Target

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:47 am

Padre,

If you are looking for headtracking, and how anyone can play CloD without it is beyond me, and are willing to buy from the UK then for God's sake consider the Delan Clip. A full set up kit costs only £37.99, it is pretty darn easy to set up (even I managed it all on my own), robust, accurate and, in my view, gives as good a result as TrackIR. I have been using mine for nearly three years and it has been perfect.

The chap who runs Delan Engineering, Tomasz Delanowski, is a bon oeuf of the first water and totally honest - he once refused to sell me something because in his view I didn't need it (and he was correct).
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby TWC_Iron_Horse » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:44 am

he once refused to sell me something because in his view I didn't need it (and he was correct).

Now that is what I call great customer service Blind, wish all companies behaved that way.

Regards
Iron.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.
TWC_Iron_Horse

Postby Padre » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:08 am

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, I had already order the TrackHat, and was mainly looking for advice on setting it up as I've never used a device like this before. I had explored many options when trying to make my decision and had considered the Delan Clip, but at the time I had looked, they were out of inventory and did not know when they would have some new units available. I believe the TrackHat closely emulates the Delan Clip, and the price I paid includes everything, camera, clips, cables, instructions etc.

Nevertheless, it looks like I'll have a few weeks to think on it (or so I'm told; I've never ordered anything from the UK before so have no real idea how long it will take) so I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. This SIM is a totally magnificent SIM and expect the head tracker is only going to bring it to the next level. Looking forward to seeing you all in the skies of the new campaign real soon.
The Padre
Padre

Postby TWC_Fatal_Error » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLdGbmndhA&list=UU3szAvSWgAUUQJnXbzzq4sg&index=11

here is video from my very first flight with an ed tracker
i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200 terabyte,Warthog,2 mfd's,EDTracker,60 inch hd, 7inch in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display

[*]iustus facere unus[*]
TWC_Fatal_Error

Postby Padre » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:29 pm

Well according to the Royal Mail, my order has been received at LANGLEY HWDC. So to get from LANGLEY UK to LANGLEY BC CA

Langley UK to Langley BC.jpg

It could conceivably make it here in 2 weeks :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Padre
Padre

Postby Padre » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Whoo-hoo! I received my TrackHat head tracking solution on Thursday March 7th. Set up the equipment and installed the software on Friday March 8th. The installation and setup went very smooth and I have gone up a few times testing the new device. It has simply taken this game to a whole new level :D

I didn't think it was possible for me to be any more impressed, but this new evolution has been incredible. The TrackHat clip is not at all big or intrusive in any way, and I'm totally amazed at how well everything has gone with the install and setup. It is certainly worth the £44.99 I paid for the whole package, and it was here (Western Canada) in just under 2 weeks. Now all I need to do is learn how to use it properly, but that's just a matter of time and effort :D

See you all in the air real soon!
The Padre
Padre

Postby TWC_Fatal_Error » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:51 am

Padre you will find joining us on Comms will enhance your experience all the more sir teamspeak address is : twc.teamspeak3.com
i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200 terabyte,Warthog,2 mfd's,EDTracker,60 inch hd, 7inch in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display

[*]iustus facere unus[*]
TWC_Fatal_Error

Return to Open Forum