Surreal experience

Open for all registered users to use.

Surreal experience

Postby TWC_Brett » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:47 pm

So having decided to have a few days away with my wife and son in the Isle of Wight, I always find it intriguing to sail across and look at all the sights that are familiar to me from flying COD, especially having been involved in so many battles over Bembridge and the surrounding area.
Today, as we were sitting in the grounds of Carisbrooke castle, my ears pricked up at the sound of something throaty rumbling in the distance.
Surely not? I would recognise that sound anywhere!
As I jumped to my feet and ran up the hill next to me to gain a better vantage point (much to the confusion of my friends) I saw the most beautiful sight of a Spitfire soaring overhead, performing a loop and a victory roll before heading off into the distance. My day was complete.
What a majestic beast.
TWC_Brett

Re: Surreal experience

Postby Padre » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:33 pm

Surely a truly epic moment. Would have loved to have been part of that.

I've heard comments on the net for more maps/theaters, but half the fun is becoming familiar with with your patrol area. Being aware helps me quickly realize where I'm at and which direction to go to get where I need to be. You can only gain that from "wandering the block" a few times. But your post really brings a true awareness when you can live it, see it, breathe it! Kind of hard to do that from the West coast of Canada. So relish the moments :D

Further on the note of maps/theaters, some guys have commented on being excited with the possible introduction of a Tobruk map. Don't they realize that's all brown dessert, with nothing for miles and miles? Pretty boring if you ask me, I'll stick to the lush green fields of Europe!

Cheers gentlemen!
the Padre
"There are no atheists in Foxholes!!!"
Padre

Postby TWC_Mackers » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Nice !!!

I had a similar experience at Brands Hatch of all places - watching motorsport.

Same thing - I was in the stand, turned away from the track, got up and walked to the top walkway.

Missus and friends were very confused, they said it looked like a zombie film moment - strange distant look on my face, scanning the sky.

Sure enough, the twin-seat spitfire was up, taking someone on a joy ride.

Next time i get £2750 to burn... will be the best 20minutes of my life.

https://flyaspitfire.com/
TWC_Mackers

Postby TWC_Brett » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:46 am

Just seen her again. Spitfire fix two days in a row!
Oh that sound!
TWC_Brett

Postby TWC_Iron_Horse » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:44 am

Often I get the Battle of Britain Flight coming over my home either a Spitfire, Hurricane, Dakota or the Lancaster, as RAF Conningsby where they are based is to the East of us and Lincoln North West at 2 miles they often come over my way.

Unfortunately I do not have a camera but it is still a thrill to hear that Merlin sound as either one of them approaches and gives me plenty of time to go outside and watch them fly past.

Regards
Iron.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.
TWC_Iron_Horse

Return to Open Forum