Some suggestions\feedbacks

Open for all registered users to use.

Some suggestions\feedbacks

Postby StabI./JG 51_Mölders » Tue May 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Just some suggestions\questions\feedbacks ( if they are already done\said ignore them ).

Please note that these are not criticisms ( I really like the server!!! ) but only my 2 cents trying to give some possible useful feedbacks. None of my feedback must be intended as something mandatory or that must be done immediately. They are just sincere feedbacks from a " passionate player " point of view, or, at least, this is the way in which I intend them. Now and ever.

Said so...

1- I'm unable to find a page that displays the time left in the mission and the current active primary\secondary targets so every time I have to select a " random quantity " of fuel before the mission because I do not know where the targets are located or I have to join the server, check the active targets, leaving the plane soon as I know what are the current targets and taking then a new one.
If not already present ( if so please provide me the link, thanks ) should be great having a similar page, one for the Blues and one for the Reds.

2- The server messages are too frequent ( I mean the ones reported by the server in the chat box ). Every time I'm reading something, like for example my current stats or the active objectives via TAB-4-6, a server message comes in the middle and I have to hit again the the TAB-4-etc keys and re-read everything.

3- As it was on the SoW server the kill messages ( aircraft shoot down in particular ) should be removed from the chat box if possible. In addition removing them from the chat box will possibly stimulate players to use more the campaign stats page to check their results.

4- The Beaufighter got his first kills during November-December 1940 and it was mainly ( to not say only ) used as a night fighter against the LW bombers so in the campaign their presence should be limited to the last stages of it at least.

5- When the server communicates the time left it should display only the time left in the mission ( Time left in the campaign it's not so crucial in my opinion ). It's not the first time that I read in a wrong way the time due to the fact that I'm busy flying and due to the fact that the 2 times reported actually are very close one to each other and so the actual system seems to me a bit " confusing " actually. ( Especially for a new player that is accustomed to the classic " Time left in the mission " ).

6- The radar system for the German side should be different. In real life the LW pilot didn't get all that informations and especially not so slowly. As far as I know the LW early sistem worked in this way ( very brief explanation just to get you the idea of what we should have ):

- The radio operator was in constant radio communication with the pilot ( so almost no delay in the communications between them ) but the informations provided to the pilot were just these: ( Sample )

" Indianer in Berta-Ludwig. Hanni eight-zero "

Explanation

INDIANER: or rather " Enemy Aircraft "; The LW radar\radio operator just knew if it was a fighter or a bomber thanks to the speed calculations and guess\experience and the presumed consistence of the enemy formation\s ( surely more easy to be done when there were just few contacts around, more difficult when there were lots of contacts around due to the primitive nature of the radar ).There were not any kind of aircraft radar icons to check on the radar display as on the nowadays radars nor was available the exact location of the enemy aircraft ( Just to give a visual idea for the ones not so aware about the way how WW2 LW early radar worked ). The indication provided was more like, in case of big enemy formation, " Huge enemy formation incoming! " instead of " 43 enemy aircraft are approaching! ".

BERTA-LUDWIG: The Luftwaffe map square where the enemy aircraft was currently located.
Note that there were no precise data\info about the incoming aircraft current position except in the case that it was spotted from the ground or intercepted by another LW aircraft nor were provided by the LW radar\radio operator any data about the interception course that the pilot should have took\followed.
The information that was provided by the radar\radio operator about this was very generic, let's say a sort of, to give the idea, " Go there and check Flieger! ".

HANNI: The codeword ( or Luftwaffe brevity code if you prefer ) used by the Luftwaffe to indicate the word " Altitude ".

EIGHT-ZERO: The numbers used to indicate the altitude, in this case, 8000 meters ( *Note: take in mind that also the altitude could be slightly wrong due to the primitive nature of the radar ).
The first number indicated the thousands of meters the second one the hundreds of meters. For example to indicate 5200 meters it was " Hanni five-two ".

Actually instead we have a slower system ( you have to wait about 1,5 minutes before the next report ) and we are in a game with a limited visual range and with aircraft flying at 350-450 km\h so before you get in the area of the report, they can be already on the other side of the world said in brief ( ...and in fact finding the enemy contacts it's very tricky due to the excessive delay in the actual radar reports ).
This system, in my opinion and said from a " player point of view " , renders the game\server a bit " annoying " ( Please don't be offended it's absolutely not my intention! ) especially nowadays that the numbers of players are quite low...and this is a real pity because I can only guess all the work that has been needed to built such a beautifull server!

In addition we have too many non-historical data in the radar reports ( We have the intercept course, the speed, the enemy direction, the time expected to intercept, etc ). Last but not least all that informations are more distracting than of help ( exactly as it works per the brevity code, in flight we need brief and easy-to-understand informations ).

On the other side no one wants the TAB-7-1 thing that is more a nowaday radar instead of a WW2 one.

Said so and to resume, if possible, for the Luftwaffe side should be much more better having a radar system like this, in the game, that is a sort of compromise between the actual one used on your server and the real one ( Just a sample ):

- You hit TAB-4-1 and then you get the following text message in the chat box ( Here follow some examples. Beetween brackets only the text description to let you know the meaning not the text to be used on the server radar reports! ):

- " 2F in AX22. Alt 5.5 " ( Meaning: 2 enemy fighters in map square AX22, altitude 5500 meters )
- " 2B in BA22. Alt 3.7 " ( Meaning: 2 enemy bombers in map square BA22, altitude 3700 meters )
- " 1U in BC22. Alt 1.1 " ( Meaning: 1 unknown contact in map square BC22, altitude 1100 meters ) * Note: The letter " U " should be used only to indicate lone unknown contact *

For larger formations instead should be something like:

- " 6+B in AX22, Alt 5.2 " ( Meaning: 6 or more enemy bombers in map square AX22, altitude 5200 meters. The exact number should be not provided, just an approximate one )
- " 6+F in AX22, Alt 5.5 " ( Meaning: 6 or more enemy fighters in map square AX22, altitude 5500 meters. The exact number should be not provided, just an approximate one )

I have used the metric system because was the one used by the LW ( ...and in addition the Imperial system is a pain to be used by players not from countries using it and reading it while flying a LW aircraft it's " Too RAF-ish " :D ).

As you can see above the system above, in my opinion, provides all the necessary informations without being too precise and being, at the same time brief and easy to be quicly understood with a glance. If using this system the delay between radar report should be deleted or at least reduced to 10-20 seconds max. Any aircraft out of the radar coverage area or not directly spotted from the ground ( in SoW was implement also a system of ground troops reporting visualy spotted aircraft ) should be not reported in the chat box.

7- In certain BOS servers they have adopted a quite interesting system to avoid that a player can bomb\attack an enemy target unnoticed ( in real life someone will spot you while doing this ). When you get in a range of 7 km from the target the server provides a message to the opposite side that the X target is under attack.
Too easy, in my opinion, actually, especially when the number of players are low, taking an aircraft and go bombing almost unnoticed the target of turn ( especially if you know how to stay out of the radar range ).
The only " real " risk is the flak fire or some random AI flights ( that somehow as you know are pretty " stupid " ) actually.
Having a similar system should be interesting if feasible.

8- One thing that was super fun in SoW was the chance to perform recon missions. The primary and secondary targets had to be first successfully reconed ( this means take-off, took the recon image then land back successfully ) before the target show in the next mission. If a target was not reconed it was not available in the target list. The only aircraft that were permitted to take recon images were double engine aircraft not carring bombs. In each sortie flown by the player the max number of recon photos that he was allowed to take were 4.
This had the following advantages:

- First the players have to search and patrol the enemy area for the targets ( Just a couple of targets were provided at the campaign beginning, all the other ones must be first found ) rendering the campaign more dynamic and less " fixed "
- Having one additional task to be done renders the campaign more interesting and could possibly attract more players liking this kind of activity
- It generates possibly more " air traffic " by human players because with the recon system on they are forced to fly over the enemy area to get the targets
- It's challenging but rewarding and very fun to fly recon missions

If this could be implemented also in your campaign this should be absolutely exceptional!!!

9- At least 1-2 times a week should be organised events so to gather the major number of players\pilots possible so to keep the engagement with the community pilots high and let them " getting accustomed " to fly on your server more frequently. More difficult but surely more rewarding than flying on a little populated server.
If needed I'm fully available about this task. I have lots of contacts with other squadrons and the will\availability to do it but we need to provide them ( I refer to the squadrons\events ) something well planned and well organised.
Actually the CloD community is pretty scattered but in my opinion is still " recoverable " and it can be reunited with a bit of passion and a bit of " healthy hard commitment ".
If we don't want to see this game completely dying in the next future our best efforts should be puts into it despite the odds against us. At least this is my humble opinion.
I'm a Luftwaffe virtual pilot and first of this a passionate player, the surrender it's not an option here!

As said these are just suggestions hoping that they could be of help to improve your superb server!

Please note that I have not commented about a RAF radar system because I have not the necessary knowledge about it so I've " spoke " only about the LW one ( for the RAF one you need to find a Teabag-expert :D )

My best regards and salutes to all!

Horrido and keep up the good work!!!
Last edited by StabI./JG 51_Mölders on Wed May 08, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 18 times in total.
StabI./JG 51_Mölders

Re: Some suggestions\feedbacks

Postby TWC_Dave » Wed May 08, 2019 11:19 am

Hey Mate!

That is a lot to Eschew, so I will let the more knowledgeable answer most,
but item #1 should be easy-

Tab4 brings up many options
Tab4,1 brings up enemy radar
Tab4,6 Primary targets
Tab4,7 Secondary Targets etc...

I have found time remaining by going thru this extensive menu thusly:

Tab4,4,4,8

(A note to newbies out there, if none of this Tab stuff shows up
it is quite possible you do not have a Window open for these options.)

See detailed instructions on Windows in the TWC Forum help section.
TWC_Dave

Postby StabI./JG 51_Mölders » Wed May 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Perfect and thanks! ;) S!
StabI./JG 51_Mölders

Postby StabI./JG 51_Mölders » Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 pm

Added points # 8 and 9 in the first post. Ende.
StabI./JG 51_Mölders

Postby TWC_Fatal_Error » Wed May 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Molders due to the lack of participants our squad included and the high cost of running the server ,teamspeak, web site and forum with very very little outside help from the community this may be the last campaign. It has taken 2 of us over 4 years to program what is in the server now ...my duties now have me restricted from doing more at this time.we are closing in on 70 thousand lines of code and it is very hard to even think about adding more at this time. I do like your ideas and in the future will keep them in mind. <S> Fatal
i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200 terabyte,Warthog,2 mfd's,EDTracker,60 inch hd, 7inch in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display

[*]iustus facere unus[*]
TWC_Fatal_Error

Postby StabI./JG 51_Mölders » Wed May 08, 2019 6:28 pm

TWC_Fatal_Error wrote:Molders due to the lack of participants our squad included and the high cost of running the server ,teamspeak, web site and forum with very very little outside help from the community this may be the last campaign. It has taken 2 of us over 4 years to program what is in the server now ...my duties now have me restricted from doing more at this time.we are closing in on 70 thousand lines of code and it is very hard to even think about adding more at this time. I do like your ideas and in the future will keep them in mind. <S> Fatal

I can fully understand your point mate so no problem at all with it. I wish the best to all of you both for the real life and the virtual life. At any point if you think that there is something I can do to help feel free to contact me anytime! S! ;)
StabI./JG 51_Mölders

Return to Open Forum