Through the Lenses

Open for all registered users to use.
TWC_Iron_Horse

Through the Lenses

Post by TWC_Iron_Horse » Sun May 19, 2019 11:27 am

Came across this video uploaded 5 days ago comparing the Oculus RIFT S vs Oculus RIFT vs HTC VIVE (GearVR Lenses)

Looks to me the Occulus Rift S sometime this year unless someone else can point a finger to something better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Te2Kn4ggg

Regards
Iron.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TWC_BlindAsABat

Re: Through the Lenses

Post by TWC_BlindAsABat » Sun May 19, 2019 1:32 pm

All this VR stuff is all well and good but I am put off by the practicalities, that is to say the other things I need to look at whilst flying. First off, I am not using one screen but three, one for the view from the cockpit, one for virtual cockpit and one for teamspeak/stetson/music/etc.. Additionally, even though I am using a Warthog, not every command is mapped to the HOTAS, e.g bail out, for sound reasons as well as the number of available buttons, so I need to be able to see the keyboard. Then there are the other, non-computer, essentials that I need to be able to see whilst flying, most notably the ashtray, the glass of whisky and, when we are flying seriously, a notepad and pencil.

VR is probably great for children's games but I can't understand how it can work for grown up sims.

TWC_Sp00k

Post by TWC_Sp00k » Mon May 20, 2019 1:41 pm

Iron, the majority of us are using the Samsung Odyssey + VR set (goggles and hand controllers. Worth checking out. We can then assist with getting it ready, supporting programs etc.

Blind, VR does for combat flight sims what fire did for mans first meal of Rabbit. It’s night and day. True you wont use a map on another screen and unless you drink through a straw, you will have to wait until your wheels down for the whiskey.

But, while your looking at your computer screen telling yourself you are flying a fighter plane, I am in a fighter plane constantly reminding myself that I am not. Everything changes.

That said it’s not perfect. Unless your an owl, you wont look directly back at the tail of your plane, without some creative code. Distance spotting will be shorter than what your used to. At least in terms of positive identification. None of this will matter however as the rest of it is brilliant.

TWC_Iron_Horse

Post by TWC_Iron_Horse » Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 am

Hi Sp00k, many thanks for the info regarding the Samsung Odyssey + VR set, unfortunately it won't be until around November or December of this year as need to do some serious saving up.

Had a look on You Tube and the clarity from it appears to be much better than the Rift 'S' so going to put the Samsung on my Christmas List! :lol:

Regards
Iron.

TWC_BlindAsABat

Post by TWC_BlindAsABat » Thu May 23, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks for the info, Mr. Spook and I take your endorsement of the kit with all due seriousness. However, not being able to see who is on my tail, not being able to timely identify threats from the front, not being able to accurately navigate (even with a headset with 6 degrees of freedom it is damn near impossible to read the compass in a Hurricane or Spitfire and on the desert map navigation is going to need a bit more than being able to look out of the window) are all fatal flaws for me.

Still each to their own and I am pleased you are having fun.

TWC_Sp00k

Post by TWC_Sp00k » Thu May 23, 2019 12:40 pm

All good. The clarity for reading gauges, map place names etc is extremely good from the unzoomed position so clarity is not a problem from that respect as it pertains to cockpit work. Spotting the approach of an aircraft from distance similarly can be done tho positive ID ranges can be shorter where allied and enemy silhouettes are similar or unfamiliar.
Piranha has a work around for looking at your 6 with the Samsung vr unit so it can be done, but it’s not native to the units operation.

We have plenty of info for assistance in the best setup for flight simming with the unit Iron when your ready.:)

Cheers

TWC_Iron_Horse

Post by TWC_Iron_Horse » Fri May 24, 2019 10:28 am

Hi Sp00k, it will be about 6 months before I am in a position to buy but rest assured, I will need help for me poor old grey cells to work out how to set it up. :lol:

Regards
Iron.

Mitchie23

Post by Mitchie23 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:27 am

TWC_Iron_Horse wrote:Came across this video uploaded 5 days ago comparing the Oculus RIFT S vs Oculus RIFT vs HTC VIVE (GearVR Lenses)

Looks to me the Occulus Rift S sometime this year unless someone else can point a finger to something better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Te2Kn4ggg

Regards
Iron.

thanks for sharing the video. i am also eyeing for a nice VR that can really immerse me to another world. LOL. I have learned VR varieties from
https://thewiredshopper.com/best-vr-headsets/ and been browsing youtube for it. By the way, where do you intend to use the VR? for mobile or for PC?

TWC_Iron_Horse

Post by TWC_Iron_Horse » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:34 am

Hi Mitchie23, for me I will be using VR for flight simming and also Cliffs of Dover, there is another VR set that has my interest and that is the Samsung Odyssey+ here is a clip of it on You Tube and it appears to be visually better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLTkEc2AQks

Regards
Iron.

TWC_Creep

Post by TWC_Creep » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:58 am

Hey Iron! Right now, the Odyssey+ is the best bang for your buck. The PIMAX sets have higher resolution but are tremendously expensive. There are new ones around the corner so it might be worth waiting if you’re still on the fence - check out the information about the Oculus Index and it’s “knuckle” controllers.