Engine Shutdown Procedure

All viewers allowed post your comments here we will add tips and tricks as we can

Engine Shutdown Procedure

Postby Padre » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi Guys

This has happened several times, and I'm stumped to figure out what I'm missing. For example, I've completed my mission (any mission), I've seen some action resulting in some minor holes in my wings. I did not receive any message indicating any significant hits on my aircraft. I fly back to base and land, I taxi to my bunker and swing my aircraft around so I'm facing the runway. I shut off the fuel, magnetos, lights etc.. I take a moment to review my stats i.e. <obj, <ses, <car, etc.. While I'm doing this, and reviewing the results of my inquiries, suddenly there's a huge plume of steam coming out of my aircraft and I get the message "Engine 1 Radiator Perforated." I then receive the message "Padre has self damaged his aircraft." Now I haven't closed the radiator or anything, as I'm allowing the aircraft to cool off, yet this has occurred numerous times. I've been flying the Hurricane Mk1-FB.

Any advice will be welcomed.
The Padre
"There are no atheists in Foxholes!!!"
Padre

Re: Engine Shutdown Procedure

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:10 am

Crumbs, I haven't seen this issue mentioned for a long time though it used to be a regular complaint on CloD forums.

My memory is not what it was but as far as I can recall the radiator goes pop because the water in it is still very hot and with the aeroplane stationary and the propellor stopped there is no airflow going through it to cool the water. The upshot is a busted rad. There are two solutions if memory serves. First one is always make sure you lane is turned into wind before switching the engine off, putting it tidy away in the hanger is actually a very bad idea. The second, and most certain, way is not to switch your engine off until you are ready to leave the aeroplane - you can always check your stats after you have got out. Personally, I always land, taxi to somewhere where the aeroplane will not cause any inconvenience to other pilots (it doesn't despawn for some time), switch off and leave it ASAP. The other advantage of this is that you are not going to get shot up on the ground which has happened to me more than a few times.

If my memory has played me false then I am sure one of the grown-ups will be along soon to give a better answer to your question.
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby TWC_Birdtail » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:29 pm

I remember this happening in Storm of War but have not noticed it in Blitz as I usually leave the plane soon after landing. Check out this post on ATAG https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/ ... g+shutdown
At the bottom of the article it explains what to do. It worked in SOW
There's something good waitin' down this road
I'm pickin' up whatever's mine.
"Tom Petty...Runnin' Down A Dream...Full Moon Fever"
TWC_Birdtail

Postby 9./JG52 Pans » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:57 pm

TWC_BlindAsABat wrote:the radiator goes pop because the water in it is still very hot and with the aeroplane stationary and the propellor stopped there is no airflow going through it to cool the water. The upshot is a busted rad... First one is always make sure you lane is turned into wind before switching the engine of

Exactly this
9./JG52 Pans

Postby Padre » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:54 am

TWC_Birdtail wrote:Check out this post on ATAG https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/ ... g+shutdown
At the bottom of the article it explains what to do. It worked in SOW

Thanks for all your help guys. Turns out you need to close your radiator. Go figure! Anyways I tried it, and there was no problem. Of course I could also just simply leave once I landed as was suggested by others. But well ... that's just me, gotta learn the hard way :D

Again, thanks for the quick responses.
The Padre
"There are no atheists in Foxholes!!!"
Padre

Return to CLIFFS OF Dover Non-TWC