Help to Decipher Code

All viewers allowed post your comments here we will add tips and tricks as we can

Help to Decipher Code

Postby Padre » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:35 am

Hey Guys

When flying on either the TWC Mission Server or TWC Campaign Server, and I use the following sequence of keys, "TAB - 4 - 1", to call up enemy radar contacts, I'm presented with a series of stringed messages, that I'm having difficulty deciphering. Perhaps you chaps can help clarify them for me. Below is a couple examples of the stringed messages:

Example 1: 5F 40mi120° A7 205mph280° Intcpt: 135°5min
Example 2: 2U 9mi20° A2 198mph210° Intcpt: 4°1min

This is what I think some parts of those strings mean:

5 = quantity?
F or U = not sure!
40mi = how far away they are from my position
20° = the heading from my position
A7 = their altitude, in this case Angels 7000'
205mph = the speed they are traveling at
280° = the heading they are traveling at
Intcpt = intercept
4° = if I want to intercept I need to be on heading 004°
1min = how long it will take to intercept

Well that is about all I can make from that. If you can, please fill in the blanks. If I'm wrong on anything, please correct.

Thanks a bunch guys!
the Padre
"There are no atheists in Foxholes!!!"
Padre

Re: Help to Decipher Code

Postby TWC_Hoss » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:02 am

Hello mate
Looks like you have deciphered it correctly. Everything you wrote is correct I believe. The only thing is F is for fighters B for bombers and U unknown. You are obviously far more intelligent than I am because its taken me nearly a year to work it all out.
Cheers mate
Hoss
TWC_Hoss

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:40 am

Echoing Hoss, Padre. One thing to be aware of is that the radar system we have can and will reclassify raids at random intervals. For example a raid that is identified as 5B may a few minutes later be described as 5U and then later again as 5B once more. This we are told is a realistic representation of the Chain Home system. It isn't of course but it is what we have.
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby Padre » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Thanks guys, I truly appreciate your input. I kind of thought the F & U may be identifiers of the type of radar contact (F = fighter; U = unknown), but until today I never actually noticed a B in the any of the strings (B = bombers). I just discovered this radar a little while back but never really took the time to figure out what it was saying, but now that I have, it certainly helps dispel the "mystery" of where to go to find action :-)
the Padre
Padre

Postby TWC_Dave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:36 pm

There were some excellent posts to the forum over the past two years
explaining and helping with the Tab 4-1. Unfortunately finding them again with search is not easy.

So to try and recap,

Take the quantity with a grain of salt, as the minimum is two, so one will post as two, & ten might be twelve etc...

I think FU was a joke by the coders, because a fighter/bomber like the Stuka could be F, U, or B...

Remember, anything under 250 feet is sketchy, and under 150 feet, invisible...

Most important is that if you actually believe the intercept vector, you will be on a wild goose chase.
If the Bogey is flying a straight line, then the intercept will be correct. But if he is flying a circle, the intercept
is only a snapshot of his course. Your best bet is to fly to the heading he is at rather than the intercept,
maybe plus/minus a few degrees, and hope for an update.
Not only that, courses and altitudes change all the time. And the Tab 4-1 report you just got is always a couple of minutes old.
(how long did you wait between your request and when you got it? a lot can happen at 250 MPH...)

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

TWC_DAve
TWC_Dave

Postby TWC_BlindAsABat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:34 am

Ground direction in the form of Stetson has the potential to make intercepts far more efficient. However, when it was crewed very few people used it and it has its own limitations most notably not being able to work out who is who on the friendly side without the pilots taking action to "register" with the controller. So it has fallen into disuse.

If you have a multi-monitor set-up you can get the radar plot up on a secondary monitor ( https://brenthugh.com/twc/radar/ ) and become your own ground director and that is a lot better than relying on "Tab 4-1". Beware though the radar plot sometimes gives different contacts to the Tab 4-1 method, contacts reported in one of them may or may not exist in the other.
TWC_BlindAsABat

Postby Padre » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks everyone for your input/insight :-)

While I realize the "TAB-4-1 radar call" has its limitations, and needs to be updated regularly, it is one more step in growing situational awareness. I'm simply thrilled to have discovered it; what an incredible feature for an already incredible game! For some of you younger fellows, who have grown up with SIM's having these abilities, and therefore consider them insignificant, for us who have been flying SIM's from way, way back, it's thrilling to see what we had once dreamed about, become a reality. I only wish I would have discovered this SIM back when it was "all-the-rage." For me, because I'm relatively new, it is all that and more :-)

Hope to see you all online some time. If you see me, please take a moment to say hi.
the Padre
Padre

Postby TWC_Fatal_Error » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:05 am

Parde glad to see you enjoying the programming efforts of TWC. In its vanilla state you would have been disappointed as were most of us when this Simulation was first let out. Through long, monotonous efforts and frustrating bug ridden code breaking you see what many at team fusion and outside see as rough cut jewel. It still has a way to go but it is far superior to any other game out there, in that it can be made to be so very much like a war simulation. In the last 2.75 years since Flug and I decided to undertake having a server that was closer to real conflict and not just 109s vs spitfires over the channel you are now reaping the benefit of our labor. She still has a way to go but as for Squadron game play she is designed well and functions in most cases like she should.

You may find some things not exactly accurate but in most cases it will still outshine the competition. Daves comment about the radar not being accurate is a very inaccurate statement. The radar is accurate to within 100 ft and because it is so accurate it causes people that don't see the radar screen and only go by tab 4/1 some problems. I put forth this example:

At approximately 10:41 am Dave requested a radar report. The sky was relatively clear with but 2 aircraft formations as contacts.
with a readout that follows as per your example above.

5F 40mi120° A7 205mph280° Intcpt: 135°5min
2U 9mi20° A2 198mph210° Intcpt: 4°1mi

this lets Dave know that there are 2 groups of enemy aircraft within a 40 mile radius of his aircraft
it also sends as you have deciphered gives the enemies present heading, speed, altitude, and time and direction for intercept with the last entry as the nearest aircraft to intercept.

Pilot Dave now has to make a decision as to what to do. If pilot Dave is at 2000 ft and he decides to match wits with the nearest enemy that was at 2000 ft and 1 min away and he turns to 4° for intercept the enemy that is supposedly at 9 miles distant and like most people in the simulation he can only see 6 miles there will be no enemy visible to him.
Unbeknownst to pilot Dave however 7 seconds after he asked for a radar return 2 things happened 1st the nearest 2 enemy planes spotted a target that was bearing 4° from their position and turned to intercept. The 3 planes, pilot Dave's and his contact, are now flying at the same altitude and heading if Pilot Dave's airspeed is the same as his intended victims he will never see or catch the plane he went after and since it takes 4 min to get a new radar return he then tells everyone he knows "oh the radar is crap I flew for 5 min and there was nothing there." when in fact it is not the radar that is faulty.......

Meanwhile Pilot Dave is concentrating on chasing the 2 contacts at his 4° he has still not checked the radar and the flight #2 from his original return has changed to a course of 315° and has descended to 4000 ft @ 320 mph and 5 min has past. Again Pilot Dave says that radar is messed up because i turned to 4° and flew for 5 min and i never saw the 2 fighters but i got jumped by 5 109's and killed so that radar is not accurate at all.

The radar is accurate for all cases, but you must stay vigil and know if you had a return with 2 fighter groups within 50 miles they can and do change course! We have also went to the trouble of reprogramming the Ai in that they will actively hunt for you within 50 miles if they so have a mind to do. Hence the above scenerio and the death of Pilot Dave.
i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200 terabyte,Warthog,2 mfd's,EDTracker,60 inch hd, 7inch in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display

[*]iustus facere unus[*]
TWC_Fatal_Error

Postby TWC_Dave » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:09 pm

Pilot Dave?

Nuts!
Now I am going to have to change my TWC name...

Note that it has been quite some time since I discovered that the intercept co ordinates
could be giving you a freeze frame of time for an aircraft flying in a circle. In this case
the intercept vector is worthless, so I always head for it's current location instead, gain altitude,
hope for a visual, and keep checking radar returns as they become available for fine tuning.

Note that an aircraft hugging terrain will be invisible to radar, and could pop up and
give you a nasty surprise...

Oh well, I never liked the Moniker TWC_Dave anyway, and was thinking of changing it.
How about"TWC_BadEcho?"

P.S., there is another option, just fly with Fatal, whom like The Who, can see for miles and miles and miles...
TWC_Dave

Postby TWC_Fatal_Error » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:14 pm

it was an example dave we all know you don't fly like that now lol
i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200 terabyte,Warthog,2 mfd's,EDTracker,60 inch hd, 7inch in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display

[*]iustus facere unus[*]
TWC_Fatal_Error

Return to CLIFFS OF Dover Non-TWC